After knowing your symptoms and clinical history, your doctor will ask you for a urine test and will take samples from the body area where the symptoms are manifesting to be analyzed in the laboratory. In addition, if deemed appropriate, they will request other tests to rule out other sexually transmitted diseases that sometimes accompany gonorrhea, such as chlamydia, syphilis, or AIDS.
The treatment to follow is the supply of antibiotics, either intravenously, orally, or both, your doctor will assess what is most appropriate for your case. This combination is used to prevent possible resistance of the bacteria to certain drugs.
If the infection spreads through the bloodstream, it is usually treated in the hospital with intravenous antibiotics.
It is important that if you have a regular partner, both receive the treatment since there will be reinfection if only one follows it.
In pregnant women, screening tests will be performed at the first prenatal visit and, if you have risk factors, they will be performed again during the third trimester.
Regular screening tests are needed for both partners.
If you have gonorrhea or are undergoing treatment, avoid having sex so as not to infect other people.
If the symptoms continue even after treatment, you should have a test that allows your doctor to evaluate if the bacteria is resistant to the antibiotics prescribed.
You can prevent gonorrhea and other sexually transmitted diseases if:
- You use the condom correctly.
- You avoid risky practices, such as constantly changing partners or having sex with promiscuous people.
- You establish a monogamous relationship on both sides.
Comprehensive women’s health is our priority at the Women’s Center, so we offer services focused on women in all their chronological stages with the highest standards of care to improve their quality of life, through a wide range of prevention, diagnosis, timely treatment, and follow-up services.
It has three specialized units:
- Obstetrics Center.
- Gynecology Center.
- Gynecology in adolescence.
Reasons to choose our Women’s Center:
- Multidisciplinary team: we have obstetrician-gynecologists and specialized nurses who provide gynecological and prenatal care.
- Personalized and humane care: our services are designed to meet your individual needs and preferences, ensuring that you receive humane care that allows you to have a healthy life.
- Better treatment options: reducing hospitalization times, quicker and less painful recovery, and taking care of the aesthetic appearance of our patients.
- Robot surgery: we have a great technological development that allows us to perform more precise surgical procedures using robotic instruments and an endoscopic video camera.
- Comfortable facilities with state-of-the-art technology: in case of requiring special care, we have facilities fully equipped with the latest technological advances.