What is Personality disorders?
They refer to a series of mental conditions characterized by unconventional and unhealthy reasoning and behavior patterns since the person who suffers from them has difficulty perceiving situations naturally and relating to others in the social, professional, and personal environment.
The origin of these conditions is unknown, but it is known that they are due to genetic, family, biological, and psychosocial aspects.
Personality disorders usually manifest during adolescence and young adulthood and are classified according to similar characteristics and symptoms. There are 10 classes arranged in three types, each with specific symptoms:
appears with strange or eccentric attitudes in various areas:
dramatic and unpredictable behaviors are displayed:
reflects anxious or panicky behaviors and thoughts:
- By avoidance.
The symptoms depend on the type of personality disorder, but most people have problems with their self-image, stress management, and the way they relate to others.
Personality disorders disrupt those who have them and those around them, which can lead to alcoholism and drug addiction, as well as social isolation.
Diagnosis and treatment
It is necessary to see a mental health specialist in case of any suspicion of personality disorder to analyze your symptoms and clinical history and perform a physical and psychiatric examination.
As for the treatment, it will depend on your personality disorder, its severity, and its impact on your life. To treat it, a multidisciplinary medical team made up of:
- Nurses specialized in psychiatric problems.
- Social advisers.
The team will assess your situation and recommend the ideal therapy for you, which can last for months or years.
The most used treatment is psychotherapy which helps you modify your socially undesirable behavior.
Various drugs can help reduce personality disorder symptoms, such as:
- Mood stabilizers.
At the Neurological Center, a select group of highly trained and certified doctors in the various neurological specialties are ready to assist you with the quality and warmth that characterizes us.
Our mission is to provide you with comprehensive and multidisciplinary care programs for the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of nervous system diseases, always focusing our activities on your safety.
Nervous system specialties
- Spine surgery
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Interventional neuro-radiology
Related centers and departments
- Herrero SY, Arias MY. Trastorno de la personalidad y disfunción de la articulación temporomandibular. Rev Cubana Estomatol. 2019;56(2):1-14.
- Molina-Ruiza RM, Alberdi-Páramo I, de Castro OM, et al. Personalidad en pacientes con trastorno alimentario en función de la presencia/ ausencia de comorbilidad con trastorno límite de la personalidad. Revista Mexicana de Trastornos Alimentarios. 2019;10(1):109-120.
- Rodríguez RA, Fontalba NA, Pena AJM. Fundamentos teóricos a problemas clínicos en los trastornos de la personalidad y su proyección en el DSM-5/CIE-11. Salud Mental. 2013;36(2):109-113.
- López RME, Chávez LE. Relación de los mecanismos de defensa y los trastornos de la personalidad. Rev Latinoam Psiquiatría. 2012;11(3):73-81.