What is Bladder resection?
Cystectomy or bladder resection is a complex surgical procedure whose purpose is to remove the bladder in the presence of advanced cancer, as well as congenital anomalies or neurological or inflammatory disorders that can damage the urinary tract and, therefore, this organ.
Not only does it consist of removing the bladder, but many times it is also necessary to remove other adjacent organs, in addition to the surgeon creating a new means of storage and elimination of urine. Therefore, it is necessary that you know what the possible risks or complications are:
- Electrolyte imbalance.
- Heart attack.
- Urinary infections.
- Intestinal o ureter obstruction.
Your surgeon, after evaluating your case, will suggest the type of procedure that is ideal for you, be it open, laparoscopic or robot surgery.
In the procedure, general or spinal anesthesia is used, where the bladder will be removed along with a specific area of the urethra and the contiguous lymph nodes.
After completing the procedure:
A catheter will be placed in your urethra to stop the bleeding and prevent its possible obstruction, which will be removed once the bleeding has stopped. You may have to stay in the hospital for two to five days, everything will depend on your case and evolution.
Anesthesia can cause numbness, nausea, vomiting, and throat discomfort, which last a few days but will disappear shortly.
You may feel like urinating frequently and will have blood in your urine in the weeks after surgery.
Your ABC doctor will guide you as to when you can return to your daily activities.
In our High Specialty Surgery Center, we perform more than 7,000 cutting-edge surgical procedures each year with state-of-the-art technology.
Our mission is to provide you with general and highly specialized medical-surgical services with the highest standards of quality and safety comparable with international centers of excellence through a multidisciplinary team that uses evidence-based clinical protocols that guarantee the best assistance and care of your health.
ABC Medical Center has always been known for practicing cutting-edge medicine. Our commitment to innovate keeps us as leaders in the practice of this discipline.
Your next surgery in expert and certified hands.
Related centers and departments
- sociedad americana contra el cáncer
- Pujada AMM, Zamora RA, Amador GRM. Enfoque multidisciplinario del cáncer de vejiga en Pinar del Río. Rev Ciencias Médicas. 2019;23(2):174-186.
- Rivera MMÁ. Caracterización clínica, epidemiológica y anatomopatológica de los pacientes con cáncer de vejiga. RCU. 2018;7(Suppl: 1):e45.
- Martínez-Delgado GH, Garza-Gangemi AM, Castillejos-Molina RA. Infección de vías urinarias después de resección transuretral de vejiga: Microbiología, resistencia antibiótica y factores de riesgo asociados. Rev Mex Urol. 2020;80(4):1-12.