It is a procedure that is used to visualize the interior of the patient’s abdominal and pelvic area. The images are observed thanks to a small camera called laparoscope, which is introduced into the body through a tiny incision near the navel.
Diagnostic laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgery that facilitates the exploration and analysis of different conditions in internal organs, which allows a more precise diagnosis. General anesthesia is used and its duration varies.
It is usually performed when there are signs of ailments or a problem such as:
- Damage to internal organs after an accident.
- Intestinal occlusion.
- Monitor closely your hygiene.
- Fast for the indicated time.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking anticoagulants or any medication.
When the procedure is complete:
It is usually an outpatient intervention, so it is likely that you can return home the same day.
You may experience slight discomfort in the incision area, shoulders, and back, as well as an increased urge to urinate for a few days. These will only last a few days, giving you the chance to resume your normal life.
Diagnostic laparoscopy is usually a simple procedure without major complications, although, as in any other surgery, there are some risks that you should consider, such as:
- Abdominal bleeding.
- Numbness and sore throat.
In our High Specialty Surgery Center, we perform more than 7,000 cutting-edge surgical procedures each year with state-of-the-art technology.
Our mission is to provide you with general and highly specialized medical-surgical services with the highest standards of quality and safety comparable with international centers of excellence through a multidisciplinary team that uses evidence-based clinical protocols that guarantee the best assistance and care of your health.
ABC Medical Center has always been known for practicing cutting-edge medicine. Our commitment to innovate keeps us as leaders in the practice of this discipline.
Your next surgery in expert and certified hands.
Related centers and departments
- Andronik, Kapiev et al. The role of diagnostic laparoscopy in the management of patients with gastric cancer, IMAC, 12(2010):727.
- Bañuelos-Vizcarra E, Gómez-Espinosa JI, Bustos-Rodríguez FJ, et al. Importancia de la laparoscopia diagnóstica en la detección de implantes tumorales. Reporte de un caso. Ginecol Obstet Mex. 2019;87(07):467-474.
- Cuente Avente, Federico et al. Rol de la laparoscopía en la estadificación y tratamiento del cáncer gástrico, Revista Argentina de Cirugía, 94(5- 6):74-84.