What is Fetal electrophysiology?
It is a pediatric cardiology subspecialty responsible for treating fetal arrhythmias. It is an invasive cardiac technique whose purpose is to perform various tests that allow a detailed analysis of the heart’s electrical activity and thus establish an accurate diagnosis of the disease that causes these abnormalities.
The heart works with a series of electrical impulses that are responsible for controlling the speed and rhythm of the heartbeat. Through electrophysiology it is possible to observe in detail the behavior of these signals in the heartbeat, being able to identify the origin of the arrhythmia and the degree of risk of a life-threatening heart attack.
As in any procedure, there are certain risks that you must consider:
- Vascular or heart valves involvement.
- Major alterations in the cardiac electrical system.
- Hemorrhages due to perforation in the heart muscle.
- Heart attack and stroke.
The procedure is performed through punctures in the mother’s abdomen, the uterus, and the fetus’s ventricle, through which very fine catheters are introduced under the guidance of dynamic X-ray images. Once installed, they will record cardiac electrical function through their tip sensors.
Said study has an average duration of two to six hours or more, depending on the complexity of the test required.
Our Pediatric Heart Center is the only private center in Mexico to treat heart conditions with an exclusive unit for pediatric surgeries.
We have a group of highly trained specialists made up of pediatric cardiologists, echocardiographers, interventional cardiologists, electrophysiologists, pediatric cardiovascular surgeons, pediatric cardiovascular anesthesiologists, pediatric specialists in cardiovascular intensive care, nurses, medical assistants, perfusionists, psychologists, and social workers.
- Cardiovascular surgery
- Interventional cardiology
- Pediatric cardiac ultrasound
- Fetal cardiac ultrasound
- Pediatric electrophysiology
- Fetal electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular intensive care unit
- Pediatric cardiology clinic
- Univentricular heart program
Related centers and departments:
- Electrofisiología cardiaca. Cardiovasc Metab Sci. 2020;31(Suppl: 4):412-414. doi:10.35366/98796.
- Dorantes SM, Castro HJ. La electrofisiología clínica en Cuba. Rev Cubana Cardiol Cir Cardiovasc. 2019;25(1):.
- Paneque-Sánchez-Toscano I, Fernández-Pérez JM, Pinilla-Jiménez C, et al. Procedimiento de actuación de enfermería en el estudio electrofisiológico cardíaco y en la ablación mediante radiofrecuencia. Rev Mex Enf Cardiol. 2013;21(3):123-127.
- López OCE. Variaciones del ritmo cardiaco observadas en el servicio de Electrofisiología del Hospital Mocel. Med Int Mex. 2012;28(5):420-426.