What is Foot and ankle surgery?
It is a surgical procedure that seeks to regain mobility or correct a disability caused by problems in the feet or ankles.
It is usually recommended in conditions such as:
- Sports injuries:
- Ankle instability.
- Achilles tendon disorders.
- Plantar fasciitis.
- Neuroarthropathy of the diabetic foot and ankle (Charcot’s disease).
- Rheumatic pathology of the foot and ankle (osteoarthrosis, rheumatoid arthritis).
- Flat and cavus foot.
- Traumatic foot and ankle sequelae.
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome.
- Forefoot disorders.
The way of treating foot disorders has changed a lot in the last 20 years and surgeries that previously required several days of rest, today can be outpatient and with immediate recovery, as is the case of Hallux Valgus (bunion).
Once your doctor analyzes and evaluates your case, he or she will request the necessary tests to define the optimal procedure for you, as well as the type of anesthesia to use, local or general. He or she will seek minimally invasive methods, such as arthroscopy or endoscopy that will allow you to have a speedy recovery.
- Injuries to tendons, blood vessels, or nerves.
- Loss of sensation or movement.
- Allergic reactions to medicines.
Recovery will depend on the type of surgery performed, you may require a splint or boot for a few weeks, use of crutches, medications for pain and inflammation, physiotherapy sessions, and exercise plans that allow you to regain mobility and return to your daily activities as soon as possible.
At the Orthopedics and Traumatology Center we seek to improve the lives of patients restricted or immobilized by musculoskeletal disorders or injuries. We specialize in the care of the locomotor system by integrating the latest medical, biological, and technological advances, in strict adherence to the highest international standards of patient care.
We put our skills and knowledge at your service to provide you and your loved ones with cutting-edge treatments and highly specialized medical care in the following procedures:
- Arthroscopic surgery.
- Partial and total joint replacement surgery (prostheses).
- Trauma surgery.
- Hand surgery.
- Foot and ankle surgery.
- Spinal surgery.
We treat injuries such as:
- Chronic bone and joint diseases.
- Spinal diseases.
- Joint replacements.
Related centers and departments:
- Parra TP, Morales SM, López GE, et al. Apoyo precoz en la artrodesis de tobillo por incisiones mínimas. Experiencia en el Instituto Nacional de Rehabilitación. An Med Asoc Med Hosp ABC. 2021;66(1):6-12. doi:10.35366/99483.
- Hermida GLF. El Dr. Lew Charles Schon gigante en la cirugía actual de Pie y Tobillo. An Med Asoc Med Hosp ABC. 2021;66(1):72-74. doi:10.35366/99494.
- Hermida GLF. Cirugía de tobillo y pie en México. An Med Asoc Med Hosp ABC. 2021;66(1):4-5. doi:10.35366/99482.
- Cuéllar-Avaroma A, King-Hayata MA, Martínez-de Anda MC, et al. Tratamiento endoscópico del pinzamiento posterior del tobillo. Acta Ortop Mex. 2017;31(1):24-29.