What is Laparoscopic cholecystectomy?
It is a minimally invasive surgery performed at the abdomen to remove the gallbladder in the presence of pathologies such as gallstones. This technique, considered the gold standard to solve this type of condition, requires only four minor incisions through the use of a cannula and a tiny camera that guides the surgeon during the process.
What role does the gallbladder play in our body?
The gallbladder is located in the lower right part of the abdomen, and is responsible for housing and releasing bile, a substance that helps the digestive process.
- Fasting from liquid and solid foods, preferably 12 hours before surgery.
- Previous bath as a preventive measure.
- If you need to take any medication, discuss it with your doctor beforehand.
- Depending on your health status and comorbidities, you may require pre-operative studies or tests.
- Less likely to experience surgical complications.
- Less pain after surgery.
- Faster post-op recovery.
- Prompt reincorporation of the patient to its daily activities.
- Does not leave big scars.
In our High Specialty Surgery Center, we perform more than 7,000 cutting-edge surgical procedures each year with state-of-the-art technology.
Our mission is to provide you with general and highly specialized medical-surgical services with the highest standards of quality and safety comparable with international centers of excellence through a multidisciplinary team that uses evidence-based clinical protocols that guarantee the best assistance and care of your health.
ABC Medical Center has always been known for practicing cutting-edge medicine. Our commitment to innovate keeps us as leaders in the practice of this discipline.
Your next surgery in expert and certified hands.
Related centers and departments
- Armas PBA. Apuntes históricos necesarios en colecistectomía laparoscópica. Gaceta Médica Espirituana. 2019;21(2):8-12.
- García Ruíz A, Gutiérrez Rodríguez L, Cueto García J. Evolución histórica de la cirugía laparoscópica. Cirugía Endoscópica [Internet]. 2016 [consultado 2021 ene 16];17(2):93-106. Disponible en: https://www.medigraphic.com/pdfs/endosco/ce-2016/ce162i.pdf
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES). Colecistectomía laparoscópica, (Extracción de vesícula biliar): Información para el paciente de parte de su médico y de Sages. [Internet]. 2004 [consultado 2021 ene 16]; Disponible en: https://www.sages.org/publications/patient-information/informacion-para-el-paciente-colecistectomia-laparoscopia/
- García RJH, Palacio VF, Castro MA. Incidencia de lesiones de vía biliar en pacientes de colecistectomía laparoscópica en el Hospital “Ignacio Zaragoza” en 12 años. An Med Asoc Med Hosp ABC. 2008;53(2):69-73.