Everyone’s routine is being affected during quarantine, which has caused many people to report eating more and more often, as well as experiencing fear, sadness, and anxiety. They are also looking for ways to exercise at home as gyms are closed.
You must take control of your life and stay healthy at this time.
Movement recommendations to stay healthy and avoid weight gain have three axes:
- Reduce sedentary behaviors
- Increase physical activity
It is important to stay active throughout the day and incorporate a structured exercise session into your day. Prolonged prostration can cause your metabolism to slow down and your mood to drop. Lack of movement is associated with greater depression and anxiety, reducing your daily movement, even for 2 weeks, can cause metabolic problems such as insulin resistance, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, and triglyceride problems
To comply with the three axes you can:
- Help with domestic tasks, this implies a lot of energy expenditure
- Take active breaks for every hour you are sitting. If you have stairs, climbing stairs is one of the activities that require the greatest muscle requirement, if not, do squats next to your desk
- Try to schedule your movement, this way you will not block it with other activities
- Do one, two, or three sessions of structured exercise during your day. Arrange it according to your preferences.
OPTION 1. Single exercise session
OPTION 2. Double sessions MORNING AND EVENING
OPTION 3. Triple sessions MORNING, AFTERNOON AND EVENING
At ABC Medical Center’s Nutrition & Obesity Center, we can provide you with specialized care. Contact us!
Prepared by nutritionists at the ABC Nutrition and Obesity Center