- Food is very important in childhood for growth and development, and it is during this stage that eating habits are created.
- It is common that if the parents have overweight problems, the children tend to suffer from them.
- In addition to nutrition, it is important that children and adolescents feel motivated to perform physical activities to maintain good health.
Family will always be our main reference for education, culture, habits, values, and even our future health.
There must be good habits in the environment where a child develops, not only of behavior, but also excellent eating, hygiene, and health habits.
A large percentage of children in our country, who grow up in a family with poor eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle, that is, they spend their time watching television, playing video games, and browsing the Internet, have a risk greater than 33% of being overweight or obese in youth and adulthood if not treated early.
Let’s talk habits…
Among the incorrect habits, the lack of food planning stands out, as well as eating a “fast” breakfast, that is, little and almost on the run. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it helps kick start your metabolism and start the day with more energy.
A healthy diet includes a wide variety of foods, mainly of plant sources, which will provide all the necessary nutrients to maintain good health at all stages of life.
What determines whether or not a child is obese?
It is common for children of parents with weight problems to have a higher obesity rate. On the contrary, if good habits are formed in the family, children tend to have higher self-esteem and a lower percentage of being overweight, regardless of the family’s economic level.
In addition to food, it is important to regulate physical activity, it does not mean that adolescents should reach an outstanding level of athletics or sports activity, with 30 minutes of exercise a day, whether it is a walk or recreational activities such as dance, arts martial arts, or even swimming, is enough to maintain a good physical and mental state.
Actually, it is about keeping the little ones motivated to be self-sufficient and creating habits that they can keep throughout their lives to continue in good health, this depends 100% on their education and the daily family dynamics.
What is a correct eating plan?
- Eat three meals a day, with two healthy snacks.
- Increase the amount of fiber and decrease the amount of salt.
- Drink enough water.
- Avoid sugary drinks, fruit juice can be high in calories, therefore, it is better to consume a whole fruit than a juice.
- Follow the healthy eating plate portions.
- Grill foods instead of frying them.
- Encourage children to eat fewer sweets and junk.
- Reduce the use of fats.
- Eat lean meats and limit your intake of red meat.
We live in a time where we can find recommendations everywhere, however, the guidance of an expert will always be the best option to achieve the results we want.
If you don’t know how to follow a meal plan, if you as a parent have overweight problems and you suspect that your children do too, go to an assessment appointment with our nutrition specialists at the Nutrition and Obesity Center, your health and that of your loves ones comes first.
At ABC Medical Center’s Nutrition & Obesity Center, we can provide you with specialized care. Contact us!