Once your doctor analyzes your symptoms and your medical history, they will perform a physical examination to detect pelvic abnormalities and corroborate areas that cause discomfort. However, to confirm the diagnosis, they will request blood tests to verify that there is a pregnancy and check for signs of anemia due to bleeding.
Also, they will ask you for a transvaginal ultrasound to locate where the egg was implanted.
The only treatment for an ectopic pregnancy is to remove the fertilized egg and the adjacent tissue that may have formed.
In the early stages of pregnancy, it is possible to stop the egg’s development and dissolve the tissue on a cellular level with specialized drugs for this purpose; but when the egg is more developed, the only option is to remove it through surgery, which can be laparoscopy or laparotomy in case of an emergency procedure.
The most common laparoscopic surgeries to solve ectopic pregnancies are salpingostomy and salpingectomy. In both cases, a small abdominal cut is made through which a laparoscope is inserted, which is a probe with a small camera to look for the place of pregnancy and perform the extraction.
- Salpingostomy: only the fertilized egg is removed.
- Salpingectomy: the fertilized egg and the fallopian tube in which it was implanted are removed.
Comprehensive women’s health is our priority at the Women’s Center, so we offer services focused on women in all their chronological stages with the highest standards of care to improve their quality of life, through a wide range of prevention, diagnosis, timely treatment, and follow-up services.
It has three specialized units:
- Obstetrics Center.
- Gynecology Center.
- Gynecology in adolescence.
Reasons to choose our Women’s Center:
- Multidisciplinary team: we have obstetrician-gynecologists and specialized nurses who provide gynecological and prenatal care.
- Personalized and humane care: our services are designed to meet your individual needs and preferences, ensuring that you receive humane care that allows you to have a healthy life.
- Better treatment options: reducing hospitalization times, quicker and less painful recovery, and taking care of the aesthetic appearance of our patients.
- Robot surgery: we have a great technological development that allows us to perform more precise surgical procedures using robotic instruments and an endoscopic video camera.
- Comfortable facilities with state-of-the-art technology: in case of requiring special care, we have facilities fully equipped with the latest technological advances.