ABC Medical Center > Orchitis

What is Orchitis?

21:55 - 4 May , 2021


It is a pathology in which one or both testicles become inflamed by a viral or bacterial infection, either by a sexually transmitted disease (gonorrhea or chlamydia) or by the mumps virus (mumps), the latter being one of the leading causes of orchitis in young people.

There are several factors that can contribute to the onset of orchitis:

  • High-risk sexual behaviors, such as not using condoms or having multiple sexual partners.
  • History of venereal infections.
  • Urethral stricture.
  • Recurrent infections in the urinary tract.
  • Surgery in the genitals or urinary tract.
  • Not be vaccinated against mumps.
  • Congenital urinary tract problems.
  • Enlarged prostate.

Orchitis is classified into:

  • Bacterial: it can sometimes be related to epididymitis, which is inflammation of the epididymis at the back of the testicle due to an infection, usually of a sexual nature.
  • Viral: it is common that when contracting mumps after puberty, orchitis occurs after six or seven days of the manifestation of the symptoms.

Signs and symptoms Orchitis

It is characterized by:

  • Testicular pain that fluctuates between mild and severe.
  • Pain when urinating.
  • Pain when having sex or ejaculating.
  • High fever.
  • Testicular inflammation.
  • General discomfort.
  • Nausea.
  • Vomit.
  • Blood in semen
  • Discharge from the penis
  • Tenderness or discomfort in the scrotum or prostate.

If you have any of these symptoms, you must see a urologist immediately so that they can assess you and do not put your health at risk, since orchitis can cause:

  • Atrophied testis.
  • Scrotum with abscesses.
  • Chronic epididymitis.
  • Scrotal fistula.
  • Infertility.

Diagnosis and treatment Orchitis

Once your doctor analyzes your symptoms and medical history, they will perform a physical examination that will help check if the groin lymph nodes are swollen, in addition to observing if the prostate and testicles are enlarged. You may also require urine tests and screening for sexually transmitted infections, as well as an ultrasound and testicular ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis.

The treatment to follow will depend on your symptoms and type of orchitis, but generally consist of:

  • Painkillers to alleviate the pain.
  • Antibiotics if the cause is a bacterial infection.
  • Anti-inflammatories.
  • Rest with scrotum elevation and application of cold compresses in the area

In 7 to 10 days you will feel better, but scrotal sensitivity may last several weeks more.

Getting the right treatment helps the testicle(s) recover promptly and without complications.

At ABC Medical Center’s Internal Medicine Department, we offer health care services with the highest quality and safety, from the prevention, diagnosis, timely treatment, and monitoring of infectious, respiratory, endocrinological, dermatological, rheumatic, nephrological, gastrointestinal, and hematological pathologies of both chronic-degenerative diseases and acute conditions, through a comprehensive and multidisciplinary model.


  • fesemi.org
  • wnyurology.com
  • medlineplus.gov
  • mayoclinic.org
  • msdmanuals.com
  • medigraphic.com
  • Ramos CR, Lastra CG, Catalán QG, et al. Orquitis nodular peritesticular (seudotumor fibroso), asociada a hidrocele. Rev Mex Urol. 2007;67(6):312-314.
  • Alvaredo SMA, Reyes RR, Díaz GM, et al. Resultados del Abordaje inguinal de Ivanissevich para el varicocele en el paciente pediátrico. RCU. 2014;3(2):5-11.
  • Caro LJ, Zúñiga CIR, Reyes BG. Reporte de un caso de epididimitis tuberculosa del Hospital HGZ35 del IMSS de Cosamaloapan, Veracruz. Enf Infec Microbiol. 2011;31(4):152-154.

How can we help you?

    The dissemination of the content of this material is for informational purposes only and does not replace, under any circumstance or condition, a consultation with a specialist doctor, for which the ABC Medical Center is not responsible for the different use that may be given to it. If you require more information related to the subject, we suggest you contact the specialist doctor you trust directly.