If you are not sure that a spider bit you, the doctor, when analyzing your symptoms and observing the injury, may infer that it is a spider bite, but if you saw the insect in question, you should describe it to identify the specimen.
Morphological characteristics of the black widow:
- Glossy black body no larger than two or three centimeters with rows of elongated legs.
- An hourglass shape with an intense red hue can be seen in the wide part of the body.
Violin spider characteristics:
- 20 millimeters long, brown or beige body, with elongated legs, and a violin shape.
- Six eyes instead of the eight that spiders usually have.
A common treatment for these cases includes:
- Cleaning and disinfecting the wound.
- Application of topical antibiotics.
- Oral analgesics and antihistamines.
- Use of ice to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Tetanus vaccine.
When the symptoms are severe and can be fatal, the intravenous application of an antidote for black widow bites is required, but it is used at the doctor’s discretion as it is high risk due to possible allergic reactions.
At the Neurology Center, a select group of highly trained and certified doctors in various neurological specialties is ready to assist you with the quality and warmth that characterizes us.
Our mission is to provide you with comprehensive and multidisciplinary care programs for preventing, diagnosing, treating, and rehabilitating nervous system diseases, always focusing on your safety.