This rare disease can be diagnosed at any stage of life, including before birth through prenatal chromosomal testing; during infancy or early childhood; adolescence or adulthood. To determine it, blood hormone level tests and imaging studies must be performed, such as X-rays, cardiac ultrasound, karyotyping, chest MRI, and kidney and genital ultrasound.
Once Turner syndrome is detected in a minor, the treatment to be followed will depend on its symptoms and complications, since each case is assessed personally. However, the most common treatments consist mainly of hormonal therapies:
- Growth hormone: consists of daily injections of this hormone to promote close to normal development and increase height. The sooner treatment is started at an early stage, the better chance of improving height and bone growth. Oxandrolone can also be given to girls with serious height and development problems, which increases the production of protein in the body with the corresponding beneficial effects.
- Estrogen: usually begins at age 12 to directly affect the volume of the breast and uterus. In addition, estrogen promotes bone mineralization, which in combination with growth hormone, promotes height gain. Typically, this treatment is given until menopause.
Patients with Turner syndrome can lead a normal life under continuous medical supervision, since some health problems may occur throughout its development, such as:
- Hearing loss.
- High blood pressure.
- Kidney involvement.
Comprehensive women’s health is our priority at the Women’s Center, so we offer services focused on women in all their chronological stages with the highest standards of care to improve their quality of life, through a wide range of prevention, diagnosis, timely treatment, and follow-up services.
It has three specialized units:
- Obstetrics Center.
- Gynecology Center.
- Gynecology in adolescence.
Reasons to choose our Women’s Center:
- Multidisciplinary team: we have obstetrician gynecologists and specialized nurses who provide gynecological and prenatal care.
- Personalized and humane care: our services are designed to meet your individual needs and preferences, ensuring that you receive humane care that allows you to have a healthy life.
- Better treatment options: reducing hospitalization times, a quicker and less painful recovery, and taking care of the aesthetic appearance of our patients.
- Robot surgery: we have a great technological development that allows us to perform more precise surgical procedures using robotic instruments and an endoscopic video camera.
- Comfortable facilities with state-of-the-art technology: in case of requiring special care, we have facilities fully equipped with the latest technological advances.