It is a procedure used to reposition a part of an abdominal organ, usually the intestine, after having displaced and emerged as a bulge through the inguinal muscle wall.
In addition to returning the bulging segment to its place, this procedure is also used to repair the damage suffered in the muscle wall and strengthen it through the use of a protective mesh.
An inguinal hernia, in addition to causing significant pain, can lead to more serious complications, and even be life threatening if it is not treated promptly.
Laparoscopic inguinal hernioplasty is distinguished by being minimally invasive and using a tiny camera to improve precision during the surgery.
There are multiple causes of the appearance of inguinal hernias, but the most frequent are:
- Congenital causes (at birth).
- Family background.
- Carry heavy objects.
- Overweight and obesity.
- Chronic constipation.
- Frequent coughing and/or sneezing.
Before the procedure:
- Have a proper hygiene.
- Fast according to your ABC doctor’s recommendations.
- Tell your doctor if your taking anticoagulants.
After completing the procedure:
The average duration of a laparoscopic inguinal hernioplasty is one hour and general anesthesia is used.
After completing the surgery, a recovery day is recommended before returning home. Don’t worry, in a few days you will be able to carry out your activities normally without affecting your daily life.
You will also receive, as part of your recovery, specific recommendations from your ABC doctor, among which you will find avoiding making efforts and taking short walks.
- Urinary tract infections and injuries.
- Intestinal problems.
- Sore throat and numbness from the use of anesthetics.
In our High Specialty Surgery Center, we perform more than 7,000 cutting-edge surgical procedures each year with state-of-the-art technology.
Our mission is to provide you with general and highly specialized medical-surgical services with the highest standards of quality and safety comparable with international centers of excellence through a multidisciplinary team that uses evidence-based clinical protocols that guarantee the best assistance and care of your health.
ABC Medical Center has always been known for practicing cutting-edge medicine. Our commitment to innovate keeps us as leaders in the practice of this discipline.
Your next surgery in expert and certified hands.
Related centers and departments
- Donato LD. Evolución de la reparación laparoscópica de las hernias de pared abdominal. Rev Mex Cir Endoscop. 2018;19(4):160-170.
- Felix EL. Hernioplastia laparoscópica. Diez años de experiencia. Rev Mex Cir Endoscop. 2001;2(2):63-66.
- Sauerland S, Walgenbach M, Habermalz B, Seiler CM, Miserez M. Laparoscopic versus open surgical techniques for ventral or incisional hernia repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 3: CD007781. https://doi.org//10.1002/14651858.CD007781.pub2