- The most common diseases in men are mainly due to hormonal and hereditary factors, and bad habits.
- These diseases’ prevention is very simple if you follow the steps recommended to take care of your health.
Within the framework of the month of men, we want to delve into this topic since it is important that they also look after their health. Some diseases only affect this gender, such as prostate cancer and low testosterone levels.
Do you know what are the most common diseases in men?
The male body is very different from the female, both in physiology and metabolism. This means that due to the biological differences between the two, it is more likely that a specific disease will develop in one sex without affecting the other.
There is also a series of hormonal factors specific to each sex that determine certain diseases. Men produce some hormones that increase the risk of some disorders that women, because of their hormone production, will rarely suffer.
Some of the most common conditions in men are:
- Prostate cancer: although its causes are still not entirely clear, it is believed that its appearance could be due to a complex combination of genetic and environmental factors. Obesity, older age, and family history are important risk factors.
- Colon cancer: although this is the third most common cancer in the world, men are more likely to suffer from it due to some hormonal factors typical of this gender, as well as sedentary lifestyle, smoking, alcoholism, and obesity.
- Hemophilia: It occurs in the blood when it totally or partially loses its ability to coagulate. This is a hereditary disease linked to the X chromosome, which explains why it is more frequent in men.
- Myocardial infarction: Men have heart attacks more often because they have high cholesterol levels, the cause? Genetics, hormonal factors, and lifestyle.
- Orchiditis: It consists of testicles inflammation, generally caused by a viral or bacterial infection that in some cases is sexually transmitted, although sometimes the cause is unknown.
- Balanitis: It is an inflammation of the foreskin and glans. The most common cause is poor intimate hygiene, which makes the area more likely to become infected.
How can you prevent the onset of these diseases?
Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet, based on fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains can make a difference.
Increase your physical activity
Exercising helps maintain a healthy weight, reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer; it can also help fight depression.
Goodbye cigarette and alcohol!
Excessive consumption of these substances can increase the risk of developing long-term ailments, enjoy your life in a healthy way.
Last but not least… see your doctor regularly
Some diseases are difficult to detect in time since their symptoms are long-term or simply undetectable, regular check-ups are essential to detect possible conditions in time and maintain good health.
Schedule a valuation appointment with our specialists today.
In the Preventive Medicine area of the ABC Medical Center we can give you specialized care. Contact us!