It refers to neurobiological disorders or damage to the brain caused by inadequate development of the brain. These problems usually appear at an early age and manifest as permanent defects or disabilities that alter the quality of life of those who suffer from them.
The aforementioned damages can occur in pregnancy, childbirth, or childhood, mainly affecting language, communication, attention, and learning. Therefore, timely detection is essential to reduce damage and offer patients a better quality of life.
Abnormal brain development is due to a wide variety of causes, but the main ones are:
- Genetic mutations.
- Infections or malnutrition in the mother.
- Lack of oxygen during childbirth.
- Blows to the head, meningitis, intoxications.
- Antisocial behavior.
- Low attention span.
- Language difficulties.
- Lack of emotional control.
- Periods of euphoria and lethargy.
- Poor school performance.
Diagnosis and treatment:
It is necessary to see your doctor for a developmental evaluation study, to know if the child is learning the basic skills for its age or has a developmental delay. This test may be supplemented with vision and hearing tests, as well as genetic and neurological studies.
The treatment to be followed will depend on the type of disorder in question, which will be defined by the pediatrician together with the minor’s parents and a team of specialists to achieve the best results. Said treatment may include the intake of medications and neurodevelopmental therapies that help stop the problem or definitively solve it.
In our Pediatric Center, a team of highly trained specialists awaits you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, ensuring optimal care and results by providing care based on clinical practice guidelines and international protocols.
We have two pediatric intensive care units attended by experts in the management of critically ill pediatric patients and equipped with cutting-edge technology to offer the best treatment options.
Our subspecialists in pediatric emergencies are always ready to provide specialized care when you need it most.
Trust your children’s health to our experts.
Related centers and departments:
- High Specialty Surgery Center
- Orthopedics and Traumatology Center
- Ob/Gyn Center
- Radiology and Molecular Imaging
- Clinical Laboratory
- Luna HJA, Hernández AI, Rojas ZAF, et al. Estado nutricional y neurodesarrollo en la primera infancia. Revista Cubana de Salud Pública. 2018;44(4):169-185.
- Alvarado RGA, Martínez VRI, Sánchez C. Modelo de vigilancia y seguimiento del neurodesarrollo infantil: experiencia en la Clínica de Medicina Familiar Tlalpan. Rev Esp Med Quir. 2013;18(1):19-30.
- Moreno MR, García YO. Signos de alerta de desviación del desarrollo psicomotor y su relación con la afectación en las escalas de neurodesarrollo infantil. Rev Cubana Neurol Neurocir. 2017;7(1):6-14.
- Vázquez-Villagrán LL, Moo-Rivas CD, Meléndez- Bautista E, et al. Revisión del trastorno del espectro autista: actualización del diagnóstico y tratamiento. Rev Mex Neuroci. 2017;18(5):31-45.