What is Gastric sleeve?
Gastric sleeve It refers to a surgical procedure where, through a laparoscope, up to 80% of the stomach is removed with the intention of avoiding complications in patients with obesity and other comorbidities. Usually, this procedure is performed when other types of weight loss strategies have been unsuccessful.
Before the procedure:
You will be ordered blood tests and ultrasound studies to check the state of other internal organs.
After the procedure:
The surgery requires general anesthesia and lasts approximately an hour and a half. It is normal that after the procedure, you have discomfort, so you will be prescribed pain killers and anti-inflammatories.
It is common for you to remain in the hospital for two or three days before returning home, where you must follow the recommended diet to avoid possible complications.
- Bleeding and infection.
- Injury to the stomach and nearby organs.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Problems derived from anesthesia.
At the Nutrition & Obesity Center we offer you comprehensive care according to your needs to help you have a healthy lifestyle, control your weight, change your body composition, prevent and manage associated diseases, as well as improve your physical and sports performance.
We have specialized schemes for accelerated and sustained weight loss under the supervision of a multidisciplinary team, based on safe and scientifically supported methods.
Related centers and departments:
- Gentileschi P, Camperchioli I, Benavoli D, Di Lorenzo N, Sica G, Gaspari AL. Laparoscopic single-port sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: preliminary series. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010; 6: 665-669.
- Peterli R, Steinert RE, Woelnerhanssen B, Peters T, Christoffel-Courtin C, Gass M et al. Metabolic and hormonal changes after laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a randomized, prospective trial. Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 740-748.
- Varela JE. Single-site laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: preclinical use of a novel multi-access port device. Surg Innov. 2009; 16: 207-210.
- Zapata MMÁ, Monterrubio RJJ, Gallardo BJC, et al. Gastrectomía vertical en manga por puerto único. Técnica quirúrgica y reporte de caso. Rev Mex Cir Endoscop. 2016;17(4):200-203.