It is a surgical operation whose purpose is to remove hemorrhoids that cause discomfort, pain, and bleeding. Often times, this procedure is used once other types of more conservative treatments have failed to reduce inflammation and symptoms.
Hemorrhoids are inflamed veins located in the lower rectum and around the anus, these can be both internal and external, generating different symptoms and discomfort such as itching, pain, and bleeding when having a bowel movement.
Hemorrhoids can appear for different reasons, although the most common are:
- Family background.
- Excessive strain when defecating.
- Chronic constipation and/or constant diarrhea.
- Pregnancy and pathologies that produce abdominal pressure.
Before the procedure:
- Maintain a correct cleaning of the anal area.
- Fast as suggested by your ABC doctor.
- Tell your doctor if your taking anticoagulants.
After completing the procedure:
General anesthesia or epidural is used in this surgical procedure, which lasts approximately one hour. However, you should ideally spend 12 to 24 hours in recovery before returning home.
Your ABC doctor will guide you as to when you can return to your daily activities. In the meantime, he or she might suggest good hydration, short walks, and a high-fiber diet as part of your recovery.
Although a hemorrhoidectomy is usually a simple and uncomplicated procedure, you may experience some discomfort in the anal area during the first days of your recovery.
In our High Specialty Surgery Center, we perform more than 7,000 cutting-edge surgical procedures each year with state-of-the-art technology.
Our mission is to provide you with general and highly specialized medical-surgical services with the highest standards of quality and safety comparable with international centers of excellence through a multidisciplinary team that uses evidence-based clinical protocols that guarantee the best assistance and care of your health.
ABC Medical Center has always been known for practicing cutting-edge medicine. Our commitment to innovate keeps us as leaders in the practice of this discipline.
Your next surgery in expert and certified hands.
Related centers and departments
- High Specialty Surgery Center
- Radiology and Molecular Imaging
- Clinical Laboratory
- Pochet SL. Hemorroidectomía convencional VRS Ligasure. Rev Med Cos Cen. 2014;71(610):309-312.
- Rodríguez-Wong U, Santamaría Aguirre JR. Hemorroidectomía y otras alternativas quirúrgicas en el tratamiento de la enfermedad hemorroidal. Rev Hosp Jua Mex. 2007;74(4):259-263.
- Wang JY, Chang-Chien CR, Chen JS, Lai CR, Tang R. The role of lasers in hemorrhoidectomy. Dis Colon Rectum 1991; 34: 78-82.