What is Mastoidectomy ?
It is a surgical intervention to remove a part of a bone found behind the ear, called the mastoid. It is performed when there are indications of some damage inside its structure, or in the presence of an infection.
It is usually performed to prevent different ear problems from intensifying and worsening the condition that could lead to a significant reduction or total hearing loss.
Before the procedure:
- Keep good hygiene in the area.
- Fast as suggested by your ABC doctor.
- Remember to tell your doctor if you are under any treatment, including antibiotics, antiplatelet agents, and anticoagulants.
After the procedure:
A mastoidectomy is performed under general anesthesia and can last up to three hours. Often, this surgery is characterized by allowing the patient to return home the same day of the surgery or, at most, the next day. It is important that a family member or friend accompany you during the discharge process from the hospital.
It is important to consider that, during the first days after the intervention, you may have some nausea, a feeling of vertigo, buzzing, or a temporary decrease in hearing acuity. In most cases, these symptoms will gradually disappear, but if necessary, your ABC doctor may prescribe medication to lessen any pain or discomfort.
- Infections and bleeding.
- Hearing loss or reduction (temporary or permanent).
- Dysphonia, dizziness, sore throat, and irritation.
In our High Specialty Surgery Center, we perform more than 7,000 cutting-edge surgical procedures each year with state-of-the-art technology. Our mission is to provide you with general and highly specialized medical-surgical services with the highest standards of quality and safety comparable with international centers of excellence through a multidisciplinary team that uses evidence-based clinical protocols that guarantee the best assistance and care of your health.
ABC Medical Center has always been known for practicing cutting-edge medicine. Our commitment to innovate keeps us as leaders in the practice of this discipline.
Your next surgery in expert and certified hands.
Related centers and departments
- Michele St. M, Yael R. Cirugía mastoidea. En: Eugene NM, editor. Otorrinolaringología quirúrgica. Cirugía de cabeza y cuello. Barcelona, España: Elsevier; 2010. p. 1163-1176.
- Paparella MM, Meyerhoff WL. Mastoidectomia y Timpanoplastia. En: Paparella MM, Shumrick DA, editores. Otorrinolaringología. Ciudad de La Habana: Editorial Científico Técnica; 1982. p. 1489-526.
- Proctor B. Otitis media crónica y mastoiditis. En: Paparella M, editor. Otorrinolaringología. Ciudad de La Habana: Editorial Científico Técnica; 1982. p. 1434-68.
- Santana-Álvarez J, Riera-Vargas YY, Hernández-Díaz Á. Resultados de la mastoidectomía radical modificada en pacientes con otitis media crónica supurada. AMC. 2019;23(6):720-737.