Pediatrics is considered a specialty focused on the care of children from birth to adolescence. This specialty seeks the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases or injuries that occur during this stage of life.
What does a pediatrician do?
- Constantly monitor healthy children through preventive care.
- Treat acute or chronic illnesses.
With this, the doctor manages to control the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of the child throughout the different periods of life: newborns (0-6 days), neonates (7-29 days), infants (from 1 month to 2 years), preschool (3-5 years), school (6-12 years), puberty (13-15 years) and adolescence (16-18 years); also, if necessary, they will care for premature children.
The pediatrician must work and team up with the child’s parents to guarantee their optimal development. This means that parents must attend scheduled appointments and, if the child needs medication, they will administer it at the correct times and in the correct manner, among so much more.
In this way, it will be possible to facilitate the early detection of diseases that could put the development or even the lives of children at risk.
Are there pediatric specialties?
Among the questions about pediatrics, the question of whether it has specialties is very relevant.
The truth is that, if the pediatrician deems it necessary, they may refer the child to other specialties to complement or support the tests and treatment of the patient. Among these specialties are:
- Pediatric allergist. Specialists focused on studying and detecting the appearance of allergies.
- Pediatric cardiologist. Detect and treat heart problems.
- Pediatric nephrology. Focuses on kidney or urinary tract problems.
- Neonatologist. It is responsible for caring for newborns during or after delivery.
- Neuropediatrics. Addresses diseases of the nervous system.
- Pediatric oncologist. Specialists focused on the diagnosis and treatment of childhood cancer.
- Child psychiatry. It cares for mental health disorders in children and adolescents.
These are just some of the pediatric specialties, which are divided considering the organs or systems, the nature of the involvement, the patient’s age, and the technology that can be used for their treatment.
It is important to remember that children are not small adults, they are individuals who are experiencing constant changes in their bodies and mind, which is why they must have the attention of specialists focused on each of their needs.
If you want to solve all your doubts about what pediatrics is, come to ABC Medical Center’s Pediatrics Center to provide you with specialized attention. Contact us!