If you are concerned about transmission from mother to child, you must know that there is recent research that concludes that there is not enough evidence to determine the vertical transmission of COVID-19 during pregnancy.
Recommendations during pregnancy:
- Avoid going to school or work as much as possible.
- Do not go to public areas unnecessarily (shopping centers, cinemas, parks, etc.)
- Go to health establishments only in case of prenatal control or ob-gyn emergency consultation, as well as if you have any of the main COVID-19 symptoms, such as dry cough, fever over 38ºC, respiratory distress, or another alarming symptom typical of pregnancy.
- Avoid using public transportation as much as possible.
- Stay home and avoid visitors.
- Ventilate the rooms periodically.
- Limit trips to those strictly necessary.
In the case of healthy pregnant women who are about to have their child or who have already had one, we recommend short hospitalization and restricted visits; to reduce the risk of infection and prevent spreading the virus.
Measures to be followed by you and your child, including breastfeeding:
COVID-19 negative newborn (positive mother):
- Keep your child one meter away from you and positive family members.
- Limit contact with the newborn to feedings only.
- Breastfeeding should be done with protective measures:
- Perform frequent hand hygiene.
- Wear masks.
- Time is limited to feeding.
- If you pump manually, do it with a mask and hand hygiene.
- In case you use a pump, sterilize it or boil it before use.
COVID-19 positive newborn (positive mother):
- Isolation in your home must be kept according to protocol.
- Be with your child without restriction.
- Throw away diapers and toiletries in closed bags.
COVID-19 negative newborn (negative mother):
- You need to follow the general recommendations to avoid infection.
Learn to relax for your peace of mind and that of your child:
- Do breathing exercises.
- Practice meditation.
- Listen to relaxing music.
- Avoid reading alarming news.
- Use incense or aromatherapy essential oils to help you relax.
- As far as your pregnancy allows, do some kind of light physical exercise.
- Eat healthy.
Protocolo de manejo de casos COVID-19 en gestantes, puérperas y/o díadas. Ministerio de Salud, Gobierno de Chile. 2020
Manejo Clínico de las embarazadas y de neonatos ante infección por COVID-19. Ministerio de Sanidad, Gobierno de España. 2020.
Guía para padres sobre Coronavirus. 2020