Recently, the importance of mental health has had greater relevance within society. All this is a result of the measures and restrictions that were generated due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It is no secret to anyone that many people experienced drastic changes in their daily lives, which led to the development of psychological diseases or unhealthy behaviors.
Here lies the relevance of having good mental health and talking in depth about it.
What is known as mental health?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), mental health can be defined as a person’s well-being thanks to the good performance of their cognitive, behavioral, and affective aspects, the latter being a sample of their potential in favor of coexistence, work, and recreation.
Indeed, the importance of mental health is also determined by the satisfaction of the basic needs of each individual.
A determining factor is that governments take responsibility for ensuring the integrity of communities and giving them access to quality health.
What can happen if mental health is neglected?
When social, environmental, biological, and psychological factors are not covered, a door opens onto a rather steep path, and conditions such as depression, anxiety, epilepsy, dementia, schizophrenia, and even developmental disorders begin to appear during childhood.
At this point, it is valid to clarify that mental and physical health go hand in hand, so they should not be neglected under any circumstances.
In this sense, if mental and physical health remains in the background, mental disorders such as those mentioned above can occur and, in turn, other secondary diseases known as endocrinological, immunological, neurological, and heart diseases develop.
The quality of life, then, will always be the starting point of any individual for progress and balance in general. This is when support and advice from mental health professionals are essential.
How to take care of your mental health?
According to statistics, 4 out of 5 people in the world should receive psychological care. However, they do not receive it. One of the reasons is that they live in low-income countries.
To deal with this scenario, the WHO has decreed aid plans and programs for governments that promote mental health care in the most vulnerable regions.
5 tips to take care of mental health
Caring for mental health is not new and did not originate from the COVID-19 pandemic. For a long time, professionals or institutions such as ABC Medical Center have prioritized the psychological area from different perspectives:
- Hours of sleep: It is recommended that each person rest an average of 6 to 8 hours a day.
- Exercise: Experts advise exercising 3 times a week, increasing the secretion of endorphins and serotonin; hormones related to well-being.
- Have a healthy diet: Complying with a food plan from childhood and respecting it in adulthood will guarantee the mental and physical development of each person. This encourages the development and maintenance of mental health.
- Manage time: People must learn to manage their time seeking to fulfill their routines and responsibilities at home, with family, and at work.
- Manage emotions: From a young age, appropriate psychological help must be received to learn to manage emotions according to the situations that arise daily.
Mental health characteristics
Mental health is related to the reasoning, emotions, and behavior of an individual in the face of any circumstance that arises, whether positive or negative. When a person has good mental health it shows as follows:
- It is positive despite the adversities.
- Looks for solutions and does not dwell.
- Knows how to share their concerns, as well as their achievements, with those around them.
- Listens to others even if they have their own problems.
- Plans life projects.
- Enjoys the present and learns from the past.
- Has good relationships at work, at home, with their friends, and loved ones.
At ABC Medical Center we know first-hand the importance of mental health, which is why we have a qualified team to accompany you throughout the process.