ABC Medical Center > Digital magazine > Demystifying autism

Demystifying autism

4 April 2018


What is autism?

It is a syndrome that affects the child population and is a dysfunction in socio-adaptive skills and behavioral repetition restraint disorders, so children who suffer from it have motor development, language, and socialization problems.

It is estimated that out of every 100,000 births, five will have it, and although this figure is not high, the disease has a strong impact on the family and the child. Only 5% of these children will become independent and autonomous during their adult life, while the other 95% will require the supervision of another person.

An early diagnosis is essential to improve the patient’s quality of life in the long term, which must be tackled from the first months.

What are the symptoms?

  • If at 18 months the baby does not point with its finger to ask for what he or she wants and uses less than five words.
  • Before 24 months has little eye contact.
  • At 30 months it is not able to make sentences with two elements.
  • The patient has excessive preferences for people, concepts, movements, ideas, characters, words.
  • Shows little control in repetitive activities such as spinning, jumping, repeating words, flapping wings, etc.

What is the quality of life of a person with this disorder?

Depends on early intervention. For this, it is necessary to see a pediatric neurologist specialist in this disorder, and who, with the help of therapists and other specialists (audiologists, neurophysiologists, allergists, nutritionists, pediatric gastroenterologists), will assist the patient.

It is important to identify each child’s strengths and weaknesses so that a multidisciplinary team can establish the most appropriate treatment for each case. The treatment is mainly based on psychological therapies aimed at acquiring greater socialization, developing, as far as possible, their language skills and a better adaptation.

It is common for these children to require pharmacological management to treat some alterations such as anxiety, depression, or aggressive episodes, which are secondary effects of this syndrome.

ABC Medical Center, Santa Fe Campus, has an Autism and Communication Disorders Clinic leader in diagnosis, treatment, and research in Mexico.

At ABC Medical Center’s Neurology Center, we can provide you with specialized care. Contact us!

How can we help you?