There are different vaccines accepted for travel, which will vary depending on the region you will visit.
As a traveler, you need to know the epidemiological risks that can be found worldwide to take preventive measures according to the area or region that you will visit and, thus, do it in a safe or less risky way.
What are the accepted vaccines to travel abroad?
In general terms, you should ask what vaccines you need for each country you are going to visit. However, there are some recurring ones that you should consider:
- Antimalarial. The malaria vaccine is recommended when visiting South America.
- Yellow fever. It is transmitted through mosquito bites, it is recommended when visiting Africa and Central America.
- Typhoid fever. Some countries in Asia, Africa, and South America have outbreaks of this disease.
- Hepatitis A. This disease is present in almost the entire world, but Africa and Asia are the regions with the greatest presence.
- Hepatitis B. This disease is present in almost the entire world, but Africa, the Mediterranean, and Asia are the most affected regions.
- Influenza. You should check if the virus is active in the country or region you are visiting at the time of your visit.
- Rabies. This disease is present in almost the entire world, but the regions where there is a risk of contact with animals such as South America, Africa, and Asia are the most affected.
- Tetanus-diphtheria or Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis. This vaccine is not recommended for a particular region, you must have it even though you are not going to travel.
- Triple viral (measles, rubella, mumps). This vaccine is not recommended for a particular region, you must have it even though you are not going to travel.
Depending on each destination, the vaccination requirements may change and, in some cases, even the type of vaccine you need to receive.
What COVID-19 vaccines are accepted abroad?
The World Health Organization recommends the use of the COVID-19 vaccines manufactured by AstraZeneca/Oxford, Bharat, Casino, Janssen, Moderna, Novavax, Pfizer/BioNTech, Sinopharm, Sinovac, and Valneva, but you should find out if the one you have allows the access to each country you are going to visit.
At ABC Medical Center Traveler’s Clinic, we can provide you with information about the main vaccines accepted for travel. Contact us!