We want to raise awareness about this disease that affects at least 1% of Mexicans. It is an immune system disorder in which antibodies destroy healthy cells and tissues, which can cause damage to the kidneys, heart, skin, lungs, blood vessels, and/or mucous membranes.
- 1% of Mexicans suffer from this autoimmune, chronic, and inflammatory disease.
- For every man, 9 women of productive age between the ages of 20 and 40 suffer from it.
- 40% of patients have skin manifestations as the main warning sign.
Types of lupus
There are different types of lupus, the most common is systemic erythematosus, which attacks different parts of the body. Other types of lupus include:
- Discoid lupus erythematosus: causes a skin rash that is hard to get rid of.
- Subacute cutaneous erythematosus: it appears as sores on the parts of the body exposed to the sun.
- Secondary: occurs as a result of the use of certain drugs.
- Neonatal: affects newborns.
The causes of lupus are still unknown, however, it is more common in women than men and usually occurs between the ages of 20 and 40, predominantly in blacks and Asians. Its symptoms vary and 40% of patients have skin manifestations as the main warning sign, but the most common are:
- Pain and inflammation in the joints.
- Unexplained fever.
- Mouth ulcers
- Sun sensitivity.
- Hair loss.
This disease is difficult to diagnose because its symptoms appear slowly and there is no cure for this condition, so treatment is focused on controlling the symptoms.
At ABC Medical Center’s Department of Preventive Medicine, we can provide you with specialized care. Contact us!